It’s Spring! As the weather warms up, we look forward to barbecues and dinner parties al fresco, with plenty of burgers alongside berry salads and s’mores around the fire pit. This week has been cool and windy, so we’re not quite ready to fire up the grill, but I can’t help what I crave. After surveying the fridge to find spinach, feta and red onion, I was further inspired to ease into our favorite season by flipping this turkey burger recipe on the stove top.
This particular recipe came together by feel and memory. A couple of years ago, I probably started my journey to this turkey burger by searching recipes and pieced together different ones according to my taste and pantry. And here, I finally have my go-to, ultimate recipe to share with you!
Bonus: it’s packed with good-for-you ingredients!
My Ultimate Turkey Burger
1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1/8 cup tomato paste
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4-1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
2 tsp oregano
1/8 cup crumbled feta, or more
Whole grain burger buns
1. In a large bowl, combine turkey, onion, garlic, tomato paste, spinach, oregano, feta, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well.
2. Prepare your pan (grill pan, cast iron, or whatever you’ve got!) with some oil over medium heat.
3. Form patties, about 1/3 cup per burger. I got seven patties from this recipe.
4. Cook thoroughly, flipping after about 5 minutes. If making cheeseburgers, place a slice on each patty, and melt under the broiler for about two minutes (watch carefully!).
5. Drizzle burger buns with a little EVOO. Smash some avocado in the top half. Top burger with cucumber slices, lettuce and tomato.
Bonus: Serve with roasted sweet potato “fries” topped with pink Himalayan salt and parsley for maximum enjoyment & added nutritional value.
TALK BACK: Please share your favorite burger recipes in the comments section! Let’s talk about spring/summer recipes!